Historic Home Restoration
striping-love lady house
This is the largest and most elaborate Neoclassical Revival house in the county. D.C. Stripling, manager of the Bank of Ball Ground, built the residence in 1912. The original floor plan was a central hallway with three rooms on each side. The two-story home has a two-tiered front-and-wrap-around porch, with a circular corner, supported by full-height, giant Ionic columns. Additional features include a main entry with transom and sidelights, two-story bay window, two interior ridge and two exterior eave brick chimneys, boxed cornice with modillions and windows crowned with a cornice with dentils. Local history sources claim that Stripling "broke the bank" by constructing the home; shortly after the building was completed, the Bank of Ball Ground failed. Stripling sold the home in 1920 to A.J. Lovelady. The current owners bought the home in the 50's and four generations of that family have and continue to live there. The current owners have kept the property intact and protected from development and have been able to keep the roof and interior in good condition and keep the porches stabilized and restorable. While the current owners have always dreamed and planned to restore the house completely, restoration of the elaborate porches is beyond the means of the current owner and may have to be removed to make the house maintainable. This is where MGM steps in working closely with the architect and the homeowner, restoring the exterior of the Stripling-Lovelady-Homiller House in Ball Ground was a challenge that MGM welcomed. We returned the integrity to the large front columns and they once again soar to the roof. Bathrooms and kitchen were added to allow the home to be used for public functions.